New Year, New Armies!
It’s a new year and it’s a new attempt to build a new army… actually chronicle it… and actually finish it. This is the year for projects and completing them! Up first, Adeptus Custodes! With a Limited amount of figures on hand, this is an easy one. Every Custodes figure in my collection has been put together helping to clear some box space and also making sure this isn’t a project that spirals, as others have.
The last week of 2022 saw me putting together every figure I had of the force and they’re now primed. The goal, finish painting and basing the entire army by the end of January 2023! Clocking in around 1,300 points all that’s being added is another squad of Custodian Guard with a Shield Captain, at which point it’ll be closer to 1,400 points altogether. At just 34 miniatures in total, this one is doable and a solid way to start the year.
But, what to do next?
I’m going to leave it up to readers as to what to do next! Below are five projects, some are started, others, not so much. Let me know in the comments as to what should be tackled after the Adeptus Custodes?
- Adeptus Arbites – A project I started a long time ago. I’ve picked up some figures over the years I think would work well as local officials. This is a cool mix of metal figures from early on through Fanatic, and the newest incarnation of Necromunda. But, how to run them?
- Adeptus Mechanicus – A small but growing amount of figures. There’s a combination of figures I’ve gotten over the years and the Warhammer 40,000 Imperium releases. Probably, about 1,500 to 2,000 points total for this one.
- Adepta Sororitas – There are figures going back to the original release along with some newer releases. This is a sizeable project that’d be about 2,000 to 3,000 points and be a pretty big project.
- Chaos Daemons – This is a mix of the Realm of Chaos: Wrath and Rapture as well as the Blightwar and Start Collecting Daemon of Nurgle boxes. Khorne, Slaanesh, and Nurgle are covered really well.
- Death Guard/Daemons of Nurgle – This is a project I started when I got into 9th but it got bloated and sidetracked. Rather appropriate. There’s a small force that was started to be painted and primed and so much more to put together. This would easily be in the 3,000 point range when completed. There’s also a lot of Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Cultists that’d come at some point down the road.
- Genestealer Cult – Almost every figure I have for the army is put together, I just need to paint it.
- Grey Knights – A good chunk of the force is primed but there’s still about double the size to put together and paint. This one like Custodes would be pretty easy to paint I think and go relatively quickly. Maybe a month or month and a half to complete it all.
- Leagues of Votann – The army box has been purchased with some extra units. Overall, a small amount of figures and could be about a month or so of work to get a complete army. Can I make sure to not let it get out of hand? With a limited amount of units for the army as a whole, that might be possible.
- Necrons – Between all of the figures I’ve gotten over the years from various boxed sets plus the Warhammer 40,000 Imperium figures, this would be a massive force. But, I think it’d be an easy drybrush, wash, then drybrush some more sort of paint job, then a bit of extra color. But, there’s a lot to paint and put together and would be maybe my biggest army when finished, around 5,000 points.
- Space Marine Custom Chapter – I put together a lot of Primaris figures already but they’re not painted or primed. My collection is packed with a lot of Space Marines going back to the Rogue Trader days, so the question is, where would I want to take the army from what I’ve already built. I can’t imagine the total points for this project and maybe it’s one to do in-between other projects slowly adding after the initial start.
That’s just a small part of the overall collection, and there’s sure to be side projects over time, but of the above what would you choose?