Harebrained Schemes have announced some updates for their digitally-enhanced miniatures board game Golem Arcana. This update includes numerous expansions and new features that are added for free through the Golem Arcana App.
These features provide greater re-playability, even more strategy & tactics, and new support systems for Golem Arcana Emissaries running in-store events.
- Scenario Builder – Players can design their own custom games laying out map tiles, mana wells, deployment zones, capture zones, and set unique victory conditions. This feature significantly expands the variety of Golem Arcana scenarios.
- Army Builder – Golem Arcana’s built-in Army Builder has been revamped to include many new player-requested features, including a highly flexible Unit Sorting system and Tap-to-Find-Unit system.
- In-App Purchases – While building their forces, players will have the option to instantly download digital Knights and Ancient Ones to add to their armies. These powerful new units provide players with exciting new tactics and strategies while the Army Builder maintains the game’s balance.
- Save Game – For the first time, players will be able to save the status of their boardgame and resume it at a convenient time.
- Emissary System – The new Emissary System makes organizing and running Organized Play events a snap and provides Golem Arcana’s dedicated team of Emissaries around the world with management features such as Event Registration, the ability to unlock special in-store only scenarios, and provide feedback on events.
More updates to the Golem Arcana App are already planned. The game’s follow-up release will allow up to 8 players to vie for supremacy in giant free-for-all battles.
Harebrained Scheme’s first Living World Campaign, Shadow of the Khan, is already underway. Living World Campaigns consist of three story-arc scenarios in which players’ in-game choices have a direct effect on the world of Eretsu. These special scenarios, each available for a limited two week window, give players the opportunity to directly affect the game setting through their choices of factions and leaders, acceptance and completion of quests, conversations with game characters and, of course, the win or loss of every battle.
Data is collected during each scenario and trending results are tweeted as “dispatches from the front” at @HeraldofEretsu. The final results of players’ actions are aggregated to determine the fate of the world of Eretsu.
The Shadow of the Khan campaign’s first scenario, The Battle of Two Rock, has already been recorded in the annals of Eretus History and can be read here. The next scenario, The Caves of Mahtis, is live and can be played through December 3rd. The final scenario, The Lords of the Line will be live from December 10th through December 24th.
Finally, the company announced the next seven Golem Expansion Sets beginning with Urugal – Reapers of the Sands, available in retail stores starting today. Golem Expansion Sets increase a player’s army building strategies and add exciting new battlefield tactics. Titles and release dates are:
- Urugal – Reapers of the Sands – November 19, 2014
- Iron Earthfall and Carapace Brute, Elite Golems– December 3, 2014
- Gudanna Valkali Colossus – December 10, 2014
- Map Tile Set 3: Marshes of Kesh – December 10, 2014
- Jade Guardian Elite Set – January 7, 2015
- Durani – Scions of Honor – January 21, 2015
- Rangers of the Oath Elite Set – February 4, 2015
- Zikia – Spirits of the Wildwood – February 11, 2015
We purchased and played the game at Gen Con, experiencing numerous issues with the app. You can read our initial review here. After upgrading to newer technology we still have experienced numerous issues including frozen games and bluetooth connection issues. Our initial review stands that the game is a great concept, but without serious work on the app itself, the game is a crap-shoot if it’s playable.