The release of Magic 2015 – Duels of the Planeswalkers and the Magic 2015 – Core Set is right around the corner! And, this year, for the first time ever, players will be able to equip their decks with cards designed by 14 luminaries from the video game industry.
These playable cards were conceived by some of the brilliant, creative minds behind popular games, including George Fan (Plants vs. Zombies), Notch (Minecraft), and Rob Pardo (World of Warcraft), with each infusing their own personal flavor into the cards’ designs.
The designers and their cards include:
Spirit Bonds – Justin Gary
Wall of Essence – Isaiah Cartwright
Chasm Skulker* – Mike Neumann
Master of Predicaments – David Sirlin
Cruel Sadist* – Edmund McMillen
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled – Brad Muir
Xathrid Slyblade* – Rob Pardo
Aggressive Mining* – Notch
Goblin Kaboomist* – Stone Librande
Genesis Hydra* – George Fan
Yisan, the Wanderer Bard – Brian Fargo
Avarice Amulet* – Penny Arcade
Hot Soup* – James Ernst
Shield of the Avatar – Richard Garriott
Waste Not – Magic community
*These cards will also appear in Magic 2015 – Duels of the Planeswalkers.
It’s great to see the classic game infuse itself with new ideas that makes it exciting with each release! Check out the cards below.
Wizards of the Coast have announced that the 2015 Magic: The Gathering Core Set will hit stores this July. The set will clock in at 269 cards and be available in Booster Packs, Intro Packs, Fat Packs, and a brand new thing called Clash Packs. The tagline for the set is “Hunt Bigger Game.”
This set is slight bigger than the 2014 set, which had 249 cards, and brings some changes to the actual card design. A new holofoil stamp will appear as a small silver oval in the bottom center of all rares and mythic rares going forward. A second change in this set is that collector info will appear in the lower left of the card. This indicates that card’s unique collector number, rarity, set, and language. A small dot between the set and the language will appear as a star on premium cards. Some style changes to the cards are also coming including a custom new font, a decreased border size, larger art and text boxes, and designer credits for some cards will now be included at the bottom of the flavor text box.
Beyond design changes, Clash Packs are new as well. Clash Packs will alternate with Event Decks in releases. These new packs introduce new players to more advance play and deck customization. These packs come with two ready to play 60 card decks, six premium foil cards with alternate art, a deck box, a strategy guide, and rules reference card. They’ll retail for $29.99.
The set’s pre-release even will occur July 12-13. Launch weekend will be July 18-20. The Pro Tour even will be in Portland, Oregon on August 1-3, and Game Day will be August 9-10.
WotC will support the release with the normal program of events. Pre-release events will occur on July 12-13. Launch Weekend will be July 18-20. The Pro Tour Event will be held in Portland, Oregon on August 1-3. Game Day will be August 9-10.
As if there isn’t already enough excitement around the upcoming release of Magic 2015, Wizards of the Coast has announced that the set will feature fourteen cards from some of the world’s most renowned game developers! The Magic 2015 – Core Set releases July 18, 2014.
The announcement was made at PAX East with George Fan, designer of Plants vs Zombies, revealing the card he designed, Genesis Hydra:
The developers who contributed their card ideas for Magic 2015 include:
- George Fan: designer of Plants vs Zombies
- Mike Krahulik & Jerry Holkins: Gabe and Tycho, creators of Penny Arcade
- Markus Persson: “Notch,” creator of Minecraft and founder of Mojang
- Richard Garriot: “Lord British,” creator of the Ultima series
- David Sirlin: designer on Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Yomi
- Rob Pardo: chief creative officer at Blizzard, lead designer of World of Warcraft
- Isaiah Cartwright: lead game designer for Guild Wars 2
- Justin Gary: designer of Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and Solforge
- Stone Librande: lead designer at Riot Games, designer of Diablo 3, creative director of SimCity
- Brian Fargo: founder and CEO of inXile Entertainment, director of Bard’s Tale, Wasteland, executive producer of Fallout
- Mike Neumann: Gearbox Software, creative director on Borderlands
- James Ernest: owner and lead designer for Cheapass Games, designer of Kill Doctor Lucky
- Edmund McMillen: indie designer of Super Meat Boy, featured in Indie Game: The Movie
- Brad Muir: game designer at Double Fine Productions leading Massive Chalice, project lead on Iron Brigade
In addition to the cards designed by the 14 game developers, Magic 2015 will feature a card designed by the Magic community. The card, Waste Not, was a result of “You Make the Card,” a six-month long event during which the Magic community worked together to design a brand-new Magic card.