After many years of partnership, Paizo has announced that Universal Distribution is now the exclusive hobby-channel distribution partner in Canada for Paizo products. Universal Distribution is Canada’s leading distributor of games, trading cards, accessories, toys, and memorabilia.
If you are a retailer who placed a Pathfinder Playtest preorder with any other Canadian distributor, please contact Universal to confirm your order. The Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook, Pathfinder Playtest Adventure: Doomsday Dawn, and Pathfinder Playtest: Flip-Mat Multi-Pack will be released worldwide on August 2.
Syrinscape has released the Shoggoth SoundSet, sold separately for $3.99 or as part of either the Fantasy or SuperSyrin subscriptions on Syrinscape.com.
All through 2017 the Syrinscape team traveled the world, collecting the voices from thousands of Syrinscape fans. From the UK to the US, from Australia to Germany, people chanted and intoned horrific lines, guided in rhythm and style so they could speak with one voice, across the globe. The Shoggoth SoundSetis the result of that mad undertaking. Complete with guttural gurgles and groans, with a special music track of twisted strings and the insane ramblings of fans, the Shoggoth SoundSet will set any player on edge. Spanish, French, Dutch, German and English all blend and merge to make the incredibly dense, rich and horrifying cacophony that is Syrinscape’s Shoggoth SoundSet.
The Shoggoth SoundSet is compatible with any tabletop game requiring the sounds of this Lovecraftian beast, including the final chapter of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game’s Strange Aeons Adventure Path.
Syrinscape’s Fantasy Player, Sci-Fi Player and Board Game Player apps are free to download, come with free SoundSets and are compatible with nearly any mobile device or computer. Syrinscape can also be completely unlocked for free for 30 days at Syrinscape.com/freetrial. For $10 a month, SuperSyrin Subscribers gain full access to Syrinscape’s library, permanent ownership of new sounds released while subscribing, access to Syrinscape’s SoundSet Creator and Master Minion tools and more.
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch #1
Writer: Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Artist: Tazio Bettin
Cover A: David Nakayama
Cover B: Orjan Svendsen
Cover C: Connor Magill
Publisher: Titan Comics
FC, 32pp, $3.99, On sale: May 9, 2018
Written by Black Library superstar Aaron Dembski-Bowden!
The best of the best and the most dangerous space marines from every chapter are called to the Deathwatch! They alone have the strength of mind and body to wield alien weapons and battle the enemy across the universe, manning the wall to defend humanity from the Xenos that would destroy them. When a tide of savage Orks sweeps across the galaxy, a Deathwatch squad is dispatched to stem the flow… Whatever the cost!
Join Paizo staff, authors, artists, and more for a weekend of gaming and camaraderie! The Pathfinder Playtest doesn’t release until August, but attendees at PaizoCon will get a chance to see the evolution of Pathfinder in action. They can also playtest the updated Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. The convention Truns May 25-28 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotels in Seattle, Washington.
Win the Lottery! Attendees should prioritize signing up for the event lottery, which allows hundreds of fans to get an equal chance at claiming a coveted spot at events. The opportunity for attendees to rank their event preferences ends on Tuesday, May 8 at 2:00 pm PST.
PaizoCon events include the Preview Banquet, panels, seminars, workshops, and exclusive gaming events. There will be organized play sessions for Starfinder Society, Pathfinder Society, and the Adventure Card Guild. Paizo staff, game industry veterans, and fans will run open gaming. Special Guests include artist Taylor Fischer, who will host panels on designing aliens and monsters, and the Glass Cannon Podcast, who have promised events and shenanigans all weekend long.
4-Day Badges are $75, Preview Banquet tickets are $35 and purchasing them together gives attendees a $10 discount. There are Kids Badges for children ten years old and younger. Single Day Badges will be available in person at the PaizoCon convention store and are priced at $25 for adults and $15 for kids.
Announced at Facebook’s F8 Developer Conference, Hasbro Inc. is working with Oculus to bring Virtual Reality (VR) experiences for Boggle, Trivial Pursuit, and Monopoly to people with Oculus Go, for the first time. The VR games will be accessible in the Oculus Store wherever Oculus Rooms is available for Oculus Go, across 23 countries. The launch of the games is a part of a major update for Oculus Rooms, an Oculus app that allows people to spend time with friends in VR while enjoying social activities like playing games and watching TV. Oculus Go users will be able to play games head-to-head with friends in Oculus Rooms with life-like avatars in fully customizable environments. Boggle will be the first game to launch this June; Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly will be released later this year.
With Oculus Rooms, people can customize their individual rooms with their own photos and personal touches. Once the player’s room is ready, they can invite friends to play games, watch videos, or jump into apps together.
Just like the classic Boggle game that millions of people around the world love to play, with Oculus Go, users can play with friends and family in this new virtual take on the popular 3 minute word search game:
- Play with up to four people in a real-time game of Boggle
- Connect letters up, down, diagonally and sideways to make words before opponents
- Be the player with the most points to win the game before the timer runs out
- Strengthen word searching skills in solo mode in between matches
Diamond Comic Distributors has announced the top products for comics, graphic novels, toys, and games for April.
Steam Forged Games‘ Dark Souls Card Game, based on the best-selling video game, was April’s best-selling game product. Steam Forged Games also found success with the Dark Souls Board Game which came in at #4.
IDW Games had two products in the top ten: the Dragonball Z: Perfect Cell Game ranked #4 and The X-Files: Conspiracy Theory Game ranked #7. Also of note, Dynamite Entertainment‘s Vampirella Tarot Cards Set ranked #8.
The top roleplaying game product was Starfinder: Pact World from Paizo Publishing which came in at #9.
Check out the top ten list below. You can see all of April top products here.
TOP 10 GAMES BY DOLLARS INVOICED
|DARK SOULS CARD GAME
|STRANGER THINGS MONOPOLY
|DARK SOULS BOARD GAME
|DRAGON BALL Z: PERFECT CELL GAME
|RICK AND MORTY MUNCHKIN
|STRANGER THINGS: OUIJA GAME
|THE X-FILES: CONSPIRACY THEORY GAME
|VAMPIRELLA TAROT CARDS SET
|STARFINDER RPG: PACT WORLDS HC
|STRANGER THINGS: SCREEN TEST GAME
In a move to allow fans to become even more invested in a company they support, Space Goat Productions is launching a fundraising campaign via equity crowdfunder Wefunder.com. Investors will join a community of other investors who seek to help SGP expand their presence in the board game and comic book marketplaces–and own micro shares of the publisher in the process. The fundraising campaign will run for a period of 45 days.
In the announcement Founder and CEO Shon Bury said:
We want to make cool stuff with and for fans. It’s a core tenant of our mission. Equity crowdfunding provides the perfect opportunity to show our fans how sincere we are. We aren’t the first comic-book company to ever offer shares to fans, but we are taking it one step further by allowing anyone to buy a micro share for just $100 and by offering our Kickstarter backers a 20% discount if they elect to buy-in at this funding round. We are also offering a great perk to comic book retailers. That’s how much our crowdfunding community and retail partners mean to us.
On May 2016, thanks to a law called Regulation Crowdfunding, it became legal for everyone to invest small amounts of money in the companies they believe in. Wefunder was created to provide an easy avenue for regular people, not Wall Street experts, to actually become stakeholders with the companies they already support with purchases. This form of funding fit perfectly into the long range plans and overall vision of Space Goat Productions and its CEO Shon Bury. This next step has been in the works for over a year.
Since their first box, Board Game Bento has brought you great games from Iello Games, one of the most prolific tabletop game publishers today. This month, in their first spotlight theme, Board Game bento worked with Iello Games to get you three games that exemplify what Iello is all about.
Here is a spotlight on what’s inside the box:
- Games from two of the industry’s top designers;
- Games for as few as 2 players and as many as 6 players;
- All three games feature Iello’s high-quality production and art;
- Multiple Golden Geek Award winners.
Sign up by May 28th at 11:59pm to get in on the Iello Spotlight.
Fourteen serious table top games were cited for excellence in the 2018 International Serious Play Board Game Award Program.
Gold Medal winners include:
- Total Recall ESNL Style, a leadership development card game useful in healthcare and other environments created by Trinity Health
- Biome Builder, a social impact education game from Killer Snails, teaches players aged 7+ about food chains and environmental factors across four unique biomes
Silver Medal Winners:
- Mission to Mars: An Agile Adventure, a corporate training game that builds decision-making skills aligned with the Agile/Scrum approach to project management, created by a partnership between ASPE Training and Smart Game Systems
- Charms: A Game of Insight, a game that encourage discussion of life questions, from Studio 9 Games
- ESHIP: Navigating Uncertainty, an experiential learning game to help college, university and high school students develop entrepreneurship skills, created by a collaboration between Biosymfonix EduGames and Aarhus University
- Constellations: The Game of Stargazing and the Night Sky, a card game where players have fun while learning about the night sky from Xtronaut Enterprises
- M.E.C.S. (Mathematics Educational Card System), a mathematics card game with web-based, interactive elements for students K12 created by Pak Kau College, Hong Kong…
- Monsters in the Elevator, a cooperative card game from Yaya Play Games that elementary and junior high school teachers can use to get students practicing arithmetic estimation.
- Tides of Trade, a game that puts students in the shoes of a trader during the Golden Age of Piracy, developed for use in museums by the University of Miami
- Mill Makers, an educational game that teaches K12 students about the operation and challenges of running a factory system during the Industrial Revolution, created by Box Games.
Bronze Medal Winners:
- Insect Intersection, a K12 game based on the mechanics of natural selection from Catilli Games. Kids take the role of insects, seeking to outbreed their rivals while avoiding predators
- La Mancha, a tabletop card game based on the novel Don Quixote for senior high school students created by Pie for Breakfast Studios
- Crazy Cats, an educational game for K12 students that teaches children about DNA, created by Catilli Games
- Lost and Found, a strategy card-to-mobile game series that teaches medieval religious legal systems with attention to period accuracy and cultural and historical context created by Rochester Institute of Technology and ConverJent.
Winners will be invited to display their games at Serious Play Conference Events. This year conferences will be held at George Mason University July 10-12, 2018 and University at Buffalo July 17-19.
VIZ Media dives into the legend, lore, and origins of the bestselling strategy card game, Magic: The Gathering, with the acquisition of Magic: the Gathering – Concepts and Legends. Written by bestselling author and Magic: The Gathering Senior Game Designer James Wyatt, the slipcased, hardcover volume is slated for release in print this Fall and offers a detailed examination of the planes, mythos and in-world history of Magic: The Gathering.
Dive deep into the archives of Magic: The Gathering with an inside look at the origins of the characters, planes, creatures and lore of the world’s most popular trading card game. Celebrating the 25th anniversary of Magic: The Gathering, this beautiful collector’s hardcover book features artwork, sketches and commentary showcasing the expansive world that has captivated generations. The book also includes four double-sided collectible art prints.
Throughout its 25-year history, Magic: The Gathering has visited many richly imaginative worlds through card sets and stories. Developed by Wizards of the Coast, Magic: The Gathering has more than 20 million fans, is played in more than 70 countries, and is available in 11 languages. Magic: The Gathering has won numerous notable awards, including a Mensa Award and multiple Origins Awards, the Hobby Game industry’s annual top award.